Just Click on any of the pictures for a larger one.
Chemult is an unincorporated community located in Klamath County, Oregon. The community is located on US Highway 97 toward the north end of the county at an elevation of 4,758 feet. The Chemult area, which includes not only the town of Chemult but also Beaver Marsh (5 miles south) & Diamond Lake Junction (10 miles south) has a current population of approximately 200 people.
The community was originally established in 1924 as a station on the Southern Pacific Cascade Line which was called "Knott" during construction of the railroad. The station's name was changed to Chemult when the rail line opened to traffic in 1926. A post office was also established in 1926. The name, "Chemult" is that of a Klamath chief who was one of the 26 who signed the Treaty of Klamath Lake on October 14, 1864.
The railroad junction with the Burlington Northern was completed in 1934. The railroad, logging, and tourism have always been important factors in the economy of the Chemult area.
The geography of the locality is shown on the USGS map of the Chemult quadrangle.
For more information on the history of Chemult check out the following website: https://chemulhistoryoldies.wordpress.com/